Windows 10 comes with built-in tools that can be used to examine and repair and repair System Files on your computer. Here are the steps needed to Repair System Files using SFC and DISM tools on Windows 10.
Repair Windows System Files Using SFC
Windows System File Checker (SFC) tool is a great tool to test for errors or corruption in the System Files for errors or corrupted files and repair the issues.
SFC basically checks the integrity of files on your PC and replaces them automatically with the correct version of files when they are found as missing, corrupted damaged or damaged.
You can utilize the SFC tool to determine when your computer is failing to function or generating error messages, and is experiencing issues.
Steps to Repair Windows System Files Using SFC
Follow the steps below to execute the SFC command to fix damaged or corrupted Windows System Files.
1. Right Click on the Start button, then select the Command Prompt (Admin).
2. On the Command Prompt window enter sfc /scannow, then hit the Enter Key on the keyboard of your computer.
NOTE: There should be an sfc after the space.
3. Patiently wait for Windows 10 to scan your system for System File Errors , and resolve them.
It can take anywhere from 10 – 20 minutes in order for the entire system scan to be finished. When you have completed the SFC scan is complete, it will return one of the below outcomes.
- Windows Resource Protection did not detect any integrity issues (which is a great result)
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and fixed them (better than the original!)
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files, but could not repair some (or most) (or all) (not the best outcome)
If you receive this message three times, it is necessary to consult the Dism tool to resolve the issue.
Repair Windows System Files Using DISM
Microsoft define DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) as a command-line utility that blends different Windows platform technologies into a single tool to manage Windows images.
DISM is usually employed when the System File Checker (SFC) cannot fix issues on the computer.
DISM tool has the ability to repair Component Store Corruption which is believed to hinder SFC Scan from running correctly on a computer.
Steps to Repair System Files Using DISM
1. Right-click on the Start button, and then click on the Command Prompt(admin).
2. On the command prompt Type DISM Online /Cleanup Image RestoreHealth and hit Enter Key. Enter Key.
Notice: There needs to be a space between DISM Online, Cleanup and DISM.
3. Wait for the tool DISM to examine your computer for any errors and correct the issues.
The DISM process can take between 10 and 15 minutes or longer. The progress bar might not appear for a few minutes and you could find that the progress stalled with 20 percent over an extended period of time.
When the DISM command is been completed, reboot your computer and then run the SFC command again to replace any damaged files (if there are any) with the proper ones.