YouTube suggests turning to Restricted Mode, in order to protect your children from being exposed to harmful content. The following are the steps required to Enable YouTube Restricted Mode on iPhone, Android Phone, Mac and Windows 10 PC.
Enable YouTube Restricted Mode to be enabled
While YouTube is full of Videos for Kids of all age groups, it also contains some content that isn’t appropriate for children.
What’s more alarming is the sheer number of Videos on YouTube that look similar to versions of cartoons that are popular, however they contain inappropriate and disturbing content that is inappropriate for children.
The thousands of videos available on YouTube appear to be a re-creation of cartoons, but they contain inappropriate and disturbing content that is not appropriate for children. BBC
YouTube recommends that you utilize the Restricted Mode Filtering feature to guard children from exposure to content that is inappropriate for them. When you enable Restricted Mode, YouTube will automatically block objectionable videos on your device.
Before you begin the actual procedure for Enable YouTube Restricted Mode, it is essential that you know the below.
1. Restricted Mode works at the device and browser levels. This means you have to enable YouTube Restricted Mode on a separate basis for each device as well as each browser you run on a specific device.
2. When Restricted Mode is turned on it will prevent you from being in a position to view comments that are posted on YouTube Videos which you’re watching.
3. You can Lock the Restricted Mode in your phone by simply logging in to the account on your Google Account and clicking on “Save and Lock Safety Mode” instead of “Save”. This will keep YouTube Restricted Mode always enabled for everyone who uses your device.
Additionally, you should keep in mind of the fact that YouTube restricted mode filtering might not always perform as it should. This is because YouTube relies on the Video Title Description, Metadata along with Community Feedback in order to block inappropriate videos.
Therefore, it is feasible for a video to get around the Restricted Mode on YouTube in the case that the video was not flagged by the community for being inappropriate or having information that isn’t suitable for children.
Set up Restricted Mode on YouTube App for iPhone and iPad
Use the following steps to activate Restricted Mode within the YouTube app on iPhone as well as iPad.
1. Open YouTube App on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Next, tap on the Account Icon located in the upper right-hand edge of the screen.
3. On the next screen, you can tap onto the Settings option.
4. On the Settings screen, select the option to restrict mode filtering (See below for an example)
5. On the next screen, click on Strict to activate restricted mode filtering on YouTube. YouTube Application on your iPhone
Turn on Restricted Mode in YouTube App for Android Phone and Tablet
The steps are below how to enable YouTube Restricted Mode in the YouTube Application for Android phones and Tablets
1. Open YouTube App on your Android Phone or Tablet.
2. Next, tap on the 3 dots Menu icon at the upper right edge of the screen.
3. On the next screen, click on the Settings option within the drop-down menu. (See the image below)
4. On the YouTube Settings screen, select General.
5. On the next screen, select Restricted Mode by shifting the toggle from the ON position.
You can enable YouTube Restricted Mode on Mac as well as Windows 10 PC
Follow the steps listed below to turn off YouTube’s Restricted Mode in Your Mac as well as Windows 10 PC.
1. Open YouTube on your Mac or PC by using Safari or another web browser.
2. Once you are on YouTube Scroll down to the bottom and then click the Restricted Mode button (See below for an example).
3. Once you click on the button for Restricted Mode. You will be presented with the option to turn on or turn Off Restricted Mode (See the image above)
4. Enable YouTube Restricted Mode for the web browser on your Mac or PC by selecting the ON option, and then pressing Save.
As stated above You can also lock the YouTube Restricted setting on YouTube in either your Mac and Windows 10 PC by signing-in to your Google Account.
Turn on YouTube Restricted Mode Safari for iPhone
Use the following steps to enable YouTube Restricted Mode on your iPhone or iPad’s Safari Browser.
1. Open YouTube App on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Next, tap on the three dots Menu Icon located at the upper right-hand edge of the screen.
3. On the next screen, click on the Settings option from the menu that pops up.
4. On the Settings screen, just tap the Restricted Mode option to enable this option to enable YouTube on the Safari Browser.
This will stop inappropriate videos from being played on YouTube when someone connects to YouTube via an iPhone or iPad with your Safari browser.
Allow YouTube Restricted Mode to be enabled on Android Chrome Browser
The steps are below for enable YouTube Restricted Mode in the Android Chrome Browser
1. Visit YouTube using the Chrome Browser on your Android Phone or Tablet.
2. Next, tap on the three dots Menu icon that is located in the upper right-hand part of your display.
3. On the next screen, you can tap the Settings option from the Menu that opens (See the image below)
4. On the Settings screen, tap on the The Restricted Mode option to activate restricted Mode for YouTube on Google Chrome Browser.